Supplies for Backyard Research
- Rain Gauge: CoCoRaHS Website has a list of suppliers, approximately $20-25
- Wooden 4″ X 4″ Post with a beveled top for mounting gauge
- Tools for placing the post into the ground such as a shovel, drill,screwdriver, hammer, nails/screws and level to attach gauge to post.
- Detailed map of your location
- Google Earth (to identify the latitude and longitude of your testsite)
- Data sampling sheet, available in the Tools section of this guide and from idoscience.net, where you can share your observations withother citizen scientists.
Data and Tools for Earth Observation
TRMM Online Visualization and Analysis System.
is a Web-based application developed by the GES DISC that provides a simple and intuitive way to visualize, analyze, and access vast amounts of Earth science remote sensing data without having to download the data.
- Google Earth
- Additional exploration of satellite data can be done in NEO or NASA Earth Observations. NEO was designed to provide access to and simple analysis of satellite imagery in uniform, familiar data formats. NEO is for educators and students, citizen scientists, and informal educators like museums.